Read the Article in the resources
Friedman, D. J., & Parrish, R. G. (2009).
Is community health assessment worthwhile?
Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 15(1), 3–9.
Submit an APA formatted paper for this assignment.
There have been an increasing number of childhood disease outbreaks in your county such as pertussis and chicken pox. As a public health nurse who is employed with the local county health district, you have been given the assignment to conduct research to determine parent’s viewpoints, opinions, and beliefs regarding childhood vaccinations. Based on the article that states “community based research in public health has been defined as a collaborative approach to research that equitably involves, for example, community members, organizational representatives, and researchers in all aspects of the research process” (p. 7). Detail how you will conduct this research using this collaborative approach.
- Research the nearest Community/Public Health Department in your area
- Describe the last community-based research that was done in your area.
- How did the community researchers inform the public about this research?
- What was the research encompassing?
- Who was the research targeted to? Were you aware of the findings?
- If the department has not had any research conducted in your community, explore your local/state government website
- Contact your local health district to inquire about the research and then detail it.
- What is your local health department currently working on in the community?
- What are their challenges
- What do they think are their roles
- Who did you speak to for this information (title, contact information)
- Would there have been any parts of the research you would have approached differently? Explain.