Answer the following topics. Each topic response must be at least TWO (2) paragraphs long.
Use proper APA format to cite and reference sources.
Week 1: Dr. Manning in the Do No Harm interactive exercise.
Reflect on your experience as Dr. Manning in the Do No Harm interactive exercise. How did this exercise affect your understanding of how to identify and prevent prescription medication misuse? What tools and techniques did you learn? Can you see yourself realistically using any of them in your practice? Why or why not?
Additionally, choose two of the following to address:
- Which patient(s) from the video do you feel you worked well with, and which patient situation could you have handled differently? Explain.
- Which patient from the video was the most challenging for you to work with? Why? Do you think you would work with them in “real life” the same way that you worked with them in this simulation?
- How realistic did you find the portrayal of the relationship between Dr. Manning and Dr. Edwards? In your experience, do doctors interact in this way? Why do you think their interaction was included in this scenario?
- How realistic did you find the portrayal of the relationship between the nurse practitioner and the doctor? In your experience, do doctors and NPs interact in this way? Why do you think their interaction was included in this scenario?
- How realistic do you think these patient situations are? In your experience, have you seen a need for increased vigilance in PMM? Explain.
- How does PMM awareness and prevention support the Hippocratic Oath? Use one of the patient scenarios to support your answer.
Do an Internet search for standardized protocols and procedures for advanced practice registered nurses in an outpatient care or ambulatory care setting. Review the standardized procedures requirements for APRN practice in your state. Answer the following questions:
- How do you think these standardized protocols and procedures guide advanced nursing practice?
- What are the components that each standardized procedure should include according to your state requirements?
- Discuss the difference between a disease-specific standardized procedure and a process protocol.