Read Consider: What’s in a Name of an Ethics Code? in Chapter 9, then answer these following questions from the text:
- Describe how the title of a company’s ethics document affects your attitude about the content?. Do you find one title more attractive than another?
- Describe the message that the title “code of conduct” conveys?. Does it reflect the purpose of the document to provide employee guidance on expected conduct?
- Propose creative titles for ethics codes for a pharmaceutical company and a restaurant. (Gonzalez-Padron, 2015).
- Identify two other company ethics documents and share the titles of their ethics documents (consider your own organization or one that you are familiar with for this question).
Your response must be a minimum of 300 words.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers by 11:59 p.m. on Day 7 of the week. You are encouraged to post your required replies early during the week to promote more meaningful interactive discourse in the discussion. When responding to your classmate, explain what you like about his or her two proposed creative titles and offer suggestions for improvement.
Your responses must be a minimum of 150 words.
JEFFREYS DISCUSSION REPLY:
Describe how the title of a company’s ethics document affects your attitude about the content?
Gonzalez-Padron (2015) described how the title of a company’s ethics document can influence or affect how one might feel towards the contents. For example, a rules-based code title may sound very direct, strict, and punitive. It may even sound a little condescending; you need to follow these rules or else. If the title has the term compliance, it may imply that it’s only in place so that laws are followed and adhered to but not convey the importance of business ethics as well. Having the word values in the title describes an approach of connecting employee behaviors with the company’s values. Integrity is another possible word that can be used in a title to suggest good business ethics.
Do you find one title more attractive than another?
Personally, I like the code of conduct term in a title. This sounds like a guide in which to follow and adhere to without sounding negative. It also sounds general and all-encompassing rather than just being one sided on rules or business ethics.
Describe the message that the title “code of conduct” conveys? Does it reflect the purpose of the document to provide employee guidance on expected conduct?
Yes, I believe the title code of conduct properly reflects the purpose of the document. The word code means something in which to follow. Conduct means how you should act or behave. Therefore, code of conduct is a set of rules or regulations in which one should act or behave. This is both applicable towards ethical behavior in the workplace and creating an ethical culture.
Propose creative titles for ethics codes for a pharmaceutical company and a restaurant. (Gonzalez-Padron, 2015).
Some creative titles for a pharmaceutical company could be:
- Dispensing Healthy Values
- A Prescription for Positive Conduct
- Just what the doctor ordered.
Some creative titles for a restaurant could be:
- Acting in Good Taste
- Savory Expectations
- Avoid Getting Burned