In this module, you will complete a full assessment of your own community. You may build upon this assessment in Community Health II by planning, implementing and evaluating a project within your community designed to address primary prevention of an identified health concern. Each of the areas below are to be reviewed in your paper: Defining, Assessment, Data Gathering, Data Generation. Be sure that your paper has all of the components listed in the rubric under “Learning Materials” near the bottom of this page.
Defining the Community
Your community can be any geographically defined county, city, or town. Clearly delineate the following dimensions before starting the process of community assessment:
- Describe the population that is being assessed?
- What is/are the race(s) of this population within the community?
- Are there boundaries of this group? If so, what are they?
- Does this community exist within a certain city or county?
- Are there general characteristics that separate this group from others?
- Education levels, birth/death rates, age of deaths, insured/uninsured?
- Where is this group located geographically…? Urban/rural?
- Why is a community assessment being performed? What purpose will it serve?
- How will information for the community assessment be collected