Throughout Week 3, you learned about the role of race, gender, class, age, and mental illness on criminal offending. Various approaches to the interaction were explored, including sociological, criminological, psychological, and legal.
For this week’s assignment, you will write a brief research paper exploring the interaction of gender and/or race with the criminal justice system. Your paper should:
- Explore one or both of the interactions listed above through the research provided in the text and at least two additional scholarly resources.
- Reflect on current events related to gender and/or race in the criminal justice system.
- Include specific cases to support your discussion.
Length: 3-5 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
- Committee on Understanding Crime Trends. (2008). Understanding crime trends: Workshop report. Link
- Sweeten, G., Piquero, A. R., & Steinberg, L. (2013). Age and the explanation of crime, revisited. Link
- Thompson, M. (2010). Mad or bad? Race, class, gender, and mental disorder in the criminal justice system. Link