You are the hospital administrator for a county hospital, which is funded in a large part by that county’s property taxes. You discover that you have an indigent patient who has been mistakenly admitted as an inpatient to the hospital strictly for dialysis treatment. The hospital does not, as a general practice, provide only dialysis treatment for patients. This is beyond the scope of the hospital’s mandate and is therefore, an inappropriate use of local property tax funding.
If the indigent patient is discharged from the hospital and dialysis treatment is terminated, the patient will become toxic and experience severe physical consequences, even death. However, if the patient is kept in the hospital for purposes of dialysis treatment only, the hospital must assume the burden of the patient’s debt, without revenue to cover the associated cost.
Based on your understanding of the above scenario, create a 2- to 3-page report in a Microsoft Word document that includes:
- Your decision to either keep the patient in hospital or discharge the patient. Provide a rationale for your decision.
- By utilizing the classic decision-making model outlined below, present the steps you will take as well as identify a solution.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
The classic decision-making model sets out the steps of managerial decision-making.
- Defining the problem.
- Identifying the stakeholders.
- Identifying alternative solutions.
- Evaluating alternative solutions.
- Making and implementing a decision.