This study sheet will help you to write a rough draft of the writing assignment that you will revise later on. Answer the following questions as you work through your study to build a strong and successful essay.
Write an argument including a counterclaim from Garrett Hardin’s controversial essay “Lifeboat Ethics,” doing research of your own to find alternative solutions to the problems Hardin describes.
Consider the following questions as you write your essay:
- What is the central idea of Hardin’s text?
- Where do you disagree with Hardin’s ideas, or find weaknesses in his claims, evidence, or reasoning?
- If you had the chance to argue directly with Hardin, where would you start?
- What evidence can you find that refutes Hardin’s claims and/or supports your own counterargument?
- Do you have alternative ideas to share regarding how we should think about the problems Hardin focuses on?