There have been many cases of violations of ethical principles in medical and public health history. It is important to study these and understand not only what went wrong, but the implications of a failure to follow ethical principles, to ensure that these things do not happen again.
For this assignment, you will be creating a PowerPoint presentation. Three cases are listed below. For each case, you will provide a background and then apply at least the 4 basic ethical principles reviewed thus far in the course; you may research and apply additional ones. For each principle, explain why it was violated in this case. If you do not believe that the principle was violated, explain why. This should not be opinion, but should be your analysis of the cases and the principles; do not use first person.Your slides should be in presentation format and your text should be in your speakers notes. You must include speakers notes. Remember to cite your sources.
You will need to research the cases below. Be sure that you are using reliable sources for your information; peer-reviewed articles, academic books, government web pages and documents. You may use newspaper articles, but these should not be your principle and only source to discuss an individual case.
- The Tuskegee Experiment
- Henrietta Lacks and the development of the HeLa cell line
- Nazi Medical Experiments
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your analysis.
- Your presentation should have at least 6 slides, as well as a cover slide and reference slide.
- Support your presentation with peer-reviewed articles, and use at least 6 references. For additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals, see http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php
- You may use the following source to assist in your formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/