For this Discussion, you review a video of three U.S. military service members previously deployed in the Middle East. Each experienced combat in unique ways, and each experienced trauma differently. As you watch the clips, pay attention to who experienced vicarious trauma and who experienced posttraumatic stress disorder. Consider how each man experienced the trauma, the symptoms of each condition, and what makes their experiences similar but also distinctively different from the others.
Please note that the military personnel in the video discuss graphic details of their combat experiences, which may be disturbing. Please consult your Instructor if you experience trauma related to the video. If after consultation, you feel you need further services, please contact the Walden Counseling Center.
- Post a brief explanation of which individual(s) has vicarious trauma and which has posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Then identify the symptoms of the individual(s) with vicarious trauma and explain how each symptom informed your selection.
- Finally, explain how you might apply what you have learned from the video in your future role as a helping professional.
Be specific in distinguishing the two and use current literature to support your response.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the resources.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2014d). Vicarious trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in military personnel [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Morrissette, P. J. (2004). The pain of helping: Psychological injury of helping professionals. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Chapter 2, “Stress”
- Chapter 3, “Acute Stress Disorder”
- Chapter 4, “Posttraumatic Stress Disorder”
- Chapter 5, “Compassion Fatigue/Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorder”
- Chapter 7, “Vicarious Traumatization”