This assignment provides a learning activity for students to demonstrate understanding of quantitative and qualitative research, the purpose and importance of designs, and how research is critical for creating a credible evidence-based nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 & 8)
CO5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs 7 & 8)
Submit the completed assignment paper by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 5.
This assignment is worth 225 points.
Directions for Preparing the Scholarly Paper
1. Read each of these instructions.
2. Read the assignment grading rubric criteria.
3. This assignment is completed as an APA paper. APA resources can be found in your Resources Tab. You are required to complete the paper using the productivity tools required by University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad.
4. You are required to use the grading rubric criteria to ensure you are meeting all grading requirements of the paper.
5. The guideline below is a recommended outline only and does not substitute for your assignment grading rubric; your paper will be graded using the assignment grading rubric criteria. The bolded words below should be used as the headings for your paper. The title of your paper should be: Research Designs: A Critical Element for a Credible Nursing Practice
6. For the introduction section, summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The need for nursing research.
b. The importance for nurses to understand the basic principles of research.
c. The purpose of your paper.
7. For the Quantitative Research section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The importance of quantitative research.
b. One type of quantitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
c. How quantitative research can help improve nursing practice.
8. For the Qualitative Research section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The importance of qualitative research.
b. One type of qualitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
c. How qualitative research can help improve nursing practice.
9. For the Research Sampling section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. What is sampling and why is sampling important.
b. One sampling strategy used in quantitative research.
c. One other sampling strategy that you learned.
10. For the Credible Nursing Practice section, summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. How research can help to make nursing practice safe.
b. Why research is critical for creating an evidence-based nursing practice.
11. For the Conclusion section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. Short, concise, thorough summary of the main points of the paper.
12. Double check your work with the grading rubric to ensure you have met all grading criteria for this assignment.
13. Two supporting scholarly references are required. Your textbook is considered a scholarly source. Citations and References must be included.
14. This is a short, scholarly paper. The assignment should be 3-4 pages in length not including the title page and references page.
15. Submit the completed assignment on the Week 5: Assignment page.
**Academic Integrity Reminder**
College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment. Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
NOTE: Please use your browser’s File setting to save or print this page.
American Association of Colleges of Nurses (AACN). (2008). Executive summary: The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice (2008). Retrieved from http://www.aacnnursing.org/Education-Resources/AACN-Essentials
Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN). (2018). QSEN knowledge, skills, and attitude competencies. Retrieved from http://qsen.org/competencies/pre-licensure-ksas/