The goal of the Session Long Project is to identify and evaluate the ethical principles used in resolving ethical dilemmas, and to apply the principles to specific ethical issues that may have professional, sociological, economic, legal or political implications.
Often times a patient needs a lot of resources prior to being discharged from the hospital. Some organizations use discharge planners or case managers to aid in acquiring these resources. The topic of this SLP is about Jenna, a young woman who could not be discharged home until the issue of resources to care for her was resolved. This story demonstrates that resource allocation decision making is inherently complex, a process that is dynamic, multidimensional, and iterative. After reading the article, “The relational nature of case manager resource allocation decision making An illustrated case” by Fraser, Estabrooks, and Strang and doing additional research, please respond to the questions listed below
- Provide a brief summary of Jenna’s case. What was her medical condition? What was her prognosis? Why was it important for her to go home? Did she get to go home? If so, how did that impact her recovery?
- What were the resources that Jenna needed to go home? What barriers did her case manager encounter in acquiring these resources?
- Discuss the theory of relational ethics as it applies to this case. What is it? How does it impact the allocation of resources? Think about your own discipline of study, how does this theory apply to acquiring scare resources? Provide an example.
- Based on what you have read about this case and resource allocation, do you agree with the statement “that resource allocation decision making is inherently complex, a process that is dynamic, multidimensional, and iterative”? Why or why not? What are your views on the fairness of the process? Was it done in a fair manner in this case? Did Jenna get preferential treatment because of her case manager? If there was no one advocating for her, what do you think the outcome would have been?
SLP Assignment Expectations
- You will be expected to provide a scholarly basis for your response.
- Your opinions must be justified with evidence from the literature.
- References should be cited properly in the text of your essay (either in parentheses or as footnotes), as well as at the end.
- Several (3-5) scholarly references should be cited for this assignment.
- Please limit your response to 3 pages maximum, not including title and reference pages.
- Be sure to apply critical thinking skills to your assignment write-up.
Your paper will be evaluated based on the rubric criteria.
Please be sure to provide citations of sources consulted in preparing your paper in the body of the actual document itself (i.e. in addition to furnishing a reference list). Remember, any statement that you make that is not common knowledge or that originates from your synthesis or interpretation of materials you have read must have a citation associated with it. For guidelines on in-text citations, visit the following web site http//owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_…
Fraser, Kimberly D,R.N., PhD., Estabrooks, Carole,R.N., PhD., Allen, Marion,R.N., PhD., & Strang, Vicki,R.N., PhD. (2010). The relational nature of case manager resource allocation decision making An illustrated case. Care Management Journals, 11(3), 151-6.