PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE I AND PORTFOLIO
Competency 730.7.1: Adapting to Healthcare Delivery Environment The graduate evaluates how operational components within healthcare organizations demonstrate
adherence to government regulatory standards, accreditation guidelines, and quality improvement initiatives.
Competency 730.7.3: Professionalism, Confidentiality, and Ethical Behavior The graduate displays the qualities and demeanor of professionalism, practices reflection,
recognizes the need for and adheres to requirements for confidentiality, and engages in ethical behaviors as an independently functioning health informatics
In this task, you will submit a completed portfolio that provides an overall view of your first professional practice experience (PPE). Your portfolio should focus on
the following three areas:
The operation of the healthcare organization and its environment
Your application of health information management (HIM) skills
Your demonstration of professionalism and your observation of others professional qualities at the site
Note: To illustrate components in your portfolio, you may include pie charts, graphs, tables, or other visual aids.
A. Illustrate how the organizations mission statement is exemplified in the services provided for its patients or for the community.
Note: Include all of the services provided by the organization (e.g., hospital services listed, ambulatory care, day surgery, behavioral health).
B. Illustrate the breakdown of how the organizations services are reimbursed among the different delivery systems of the organization (e.g., acute care, ambulatory
care, and long term care).
1. Analyze what the organizations payer mix illustrates about the healthcare organization.
C. Create a table in which you do the following:
1. Illustrate the connections among three recommendations made by a recent accreditation visit and resulting changes made in the organization (e.g., in a process or a
2. Evaluate how the organization responded to accreditation guidelines or other external requirements by implementing quality initiatives and patient care.
D. Illustrate the organizations approach to professional development by doing the following:
1. Discuss HIM professional development benefits for employees (e.g., amount provided to each staff member or to departments for sharing and distribution).
2. Discuss the training services provided by the organization in the past six months.
3. Discuss professional development activities the HIM staff has engaged in during the past year.
4. Reflect on the HIM department staffs professionalism (e.g., ethical behaviors, adherence to confidentiality, attitude of teamwork).
E. Reflect on how your experiences at the organization helped you develop professionally.
F. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: When bulleted points are present in the task prompt, the level of detail or support called for in the rubric refers to those bulleted points.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in a paper or project, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding
reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text
of the paper or project.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA
style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the General Instructions section.