The purpose of this assignment is to increase the nurse practitioner’s awareness and sensitivity to pharmacokinetic changes and prescribing implications occurring in frail elderly related to these changes and potential adverse effects of polypharmacy in the frail elderly patient.
Identify a patient from your clinical site that is age 65 or older and takes at least 12 prescription medications, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, and herbal supplements.
- Describe your patient including age, gender, ethnicity, medical diagnoses, medication allergies, and list of prescriptions/OTC medications/herbal supplements including dosage, route, and frequency.
- Describe 3 age related changes that can affect pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Using Beer’s criteria, review the patient’s medication list to identify medications that are potentially inappropriate. What medications should be continued? What medications should you consider stopping? What are potential alternative medications that could be used in place of the medications that you would consider stopping?
- What are two challenges you as an NP face with regard to regulation of complementary and alternative medications in care of the frail elderly?
- As an NP, what is one specific strategy you will use to assess medication reconciliation including CAM and over the counter medications in the frail elderly population?
PLEASE YOU CAN MAKE UP A PATIENT AND INCLUDE 2 REFERENCES IN APA FORMAT