I think it is time for us to have another honest conversation. We have been talking about Political Parties this week and their behavior, while mostly rational, can fill us with all sorts of different emotions. Some of us are frustrated by the things they do. Others of us feel excitement, especially when the team we root for is doing well. Some of us may feel nothing at all because we tune it all out. No matter how we feel, we should attempt to rationalize those feelings and make sense of them. For this week’s discussion, I want you to identify the emotion(s) you feel when you hear Democrat or Republican. Here are some candidates:
You may single out one or the other. Chance are we don’t feel “joy” towards both! However, I ask that you keep it civil. We should be honest but respectful with our emotions and with each other.
Once you have identified the emotion(s), I want you to connect it with their actions. What is it that they do that makes you feel this way? I want you to attempt to move from your emotions to reason. Consider the following as you rationalize your feelings:
- Do their actions make sense from a different point of view?
- Do their actions align with the primary objective of a political party?
- Do you have a different standard for one party than the other? If so, why?
- Are your feelings towards one shaped by your feelings for the other?
This discussion is meant to be therapeutic and reflective. We are not here to judge you! However, we owe it to ourselves, to be honest, and thoughtful. It is the only way we can gain emotional intelligence and master our feelings towards politics!
Please make sure to do the following:
- Address the prompt above in a paragraph response (6 – 9 sentences);
- Demonstrate critical thought and reflection;
- Thoughtfully and respectfully engage one another (keep it classy!);