Physics Final Exam
This is a take home physics exam. You test must be submitted electronically to
eCompanion in the drop box for week 11. If you use a source for your answer, you
will need to cite it. Failure to cite your sources will result in a 0, as this is plagiarism.
Each question should have answers that are 3-5 paragraphs long.
1) Explain how a submarines sonar works and how bats here through
echolocation. What makes these processes the same? What makes these
2) In gemstones there are 3 processes that describe the quality of the stone.
These processes are referred to as scintillation, fire, and brilliance. Describe
how each of these processes works in terms of
reflections/refractions/refractive indexes. What would enhance/inhibit each
of these processes? (You might want to draw some pictures)
3) Explain how noise canceling foam or paneling works. Why does it have the
shape that it does? Does it matter what material it would be made out of?
4) How does lightning produce thunder and what cause the extended rumble?
How would you expect this to be different if you were at 10k ft above sea
level vs. at sea level?
5) Suppose you place your stereo speakers far apart and run past them from
right to left or right to left. If you run rapidly enough and have excellent pitch
discrimination, you may notice that the music playing seems to be out of tune
when you’re between the two speakers. Physics Final Exam
6) Explain why a mirror cannot give chromatic aberration.
7) During LASIK eye surgery the shape of the cornea is modified by vaporizing
some of its material. If the surgery is performed to correct for
nearsightedness, how does the cornea need to be reshaped?
8) Try this simple experiment on your own. Take two opaque cups, place a coin at
the bottom of each cup near the edge, and fill one cup with water. Next, view the
cups at some angle from the side so that the coin in water is just visible. Notice the
coin in air is not visible. Explain this observation.