Using the National Youth Gang Center web page, their Gangs journal, and other resources, research gang membership: Who is most likely to become a gang member and why? What benefits does membership provide gang members? What are the dangers? What expectations are attached to membership?
Purpose: To understand how race, gender, ethnicity, socio-economic and other factors affect the likelihood of gang membership and reasons for joining a gang. Consider:
- Are there distinctive characteristics of gang members that apply across geographical boundaries or within geographical boundaries?
- Are specific groups of youth especially prone to joining gangs? Why?
- How does age affect membership?
- What does research indicate about the benefits and dangers of gang membership?
- What expectations do gangs hold for their members? Are expectations fairly consistent across different gangs?