Write a 1500-2000 word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. There should be four sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) citations in your essay. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page do not count towards the minimum word amount.
- Each person in society has a status. What is your status? In addition, do you believe you were given this status? Explain why or why not.
- It is said that we all learn by experience. Or do we? There are three theories of socialization. Think of a personal situation where it was a “learning experience” and describe the outcome based on the theories of socialization.
- We all experience the stages of the Life Course — some more than others. At this point in your life, you may be in the Young Adulthood or Middle Adulthood stage. Thinking into the future, how do you see your Life Course playing out? Describe it using each of the remaining phases.
- What are the four functions of deviance? Explain four different times in your life when each of these functions was present.
- Imagine you are a principal at an inner-city high school. Many of the students come from families where at least one parent had a negative influence on their childhood and they have formed a gang that promotes violence in the school. Which theory of deviance would you apply to this situation and how would you apply it?
- At the peak of your career, you were earning $120,000 and holding a top-level position. However, when the recession hit, your job was eliminated and you were offered a position within the company paying half your salary. Explain how each of the dimensions of stratification would change your status in society.
- As part of your senior class grade, you are required to do 40 hours of community service at a homeless shelter. Explain what you see in the shelter based on issues discussed within Chapter 6 dealing with poverty in the United States.