- This assignment must be in APA format: Times Roman 12 font, double spaced, and include title and reference page.
- The assignment should be in paragraph form using complete sentences and avoiding bullet points and numbered list.
- Use a Level 1 heading to separate your sections (Page 62 of the APA Publication Manual).
- Title and reference pages do not count toward the total word or page count.
- At least one textbook source and two and outside sources must be referenced and cited in the paper.
Essays: (at least 300 words per prompt)
- Blood transfusions are sometimes required in healthcare. Based on what you know about blood anatomy discuss why a patient would need a transfusion of PRBC (packed red blood cells), plasma, or platelets. A patient with anemia has a pulse oximetry reading in the high 80’s, would this be an expected finding, explain?
- Mike, 29 years old, was admitted to a community hospital three days ago with weakness and hypotension after sustaining a spider bite while hiking in the woods. Mike has a large hematoma on his left arm where he was bite. He has no prior medical history, no drug allergies, and does not take medication. Mike started to experience moderate respiratory distress, and started oozing blood from his IV sites, nose, and catheter. He is mildly jaundice and his skin is cool. His vital signs include a heart rate of 110 beats per minute and regular blood pressure of 92/44, slightly labored respiratory rate of 22 breaths per minute, and a pulse oximetry reading of 91 percent. What would your initial diagnosis be, explain? What diagnostic test would you order and why? What would you expect the diagnostic test to show? What is the treatment option for the diagnosis?
- During natural disasters like hurricanes, when the community is living in shelters, why would there be a concern about a tuberculosis outbreak? What circumstances have led to the spread of drug-resistant tuberculosis? Mary, a nurse, skin test was positive for tuberculosis. Does this mean she has tuberculosis? Explain.
- Each year many people go to their family physician with a common cold, but think they have the influenza. Based on symptoms how can you tell if you have a common cold or influenza? What are the causes and treatments for Pneumonia? What is the best way to prevent influenza and pneumonia?