Instructions: Answer the following questions related to Elizabeth Wardle’s “Identity, Authority, and Learning to Write in New Workplaces”; these questions are designed to get you thinking about understanding the text, and designed to get you thinking about the value of the text:
- In what way has research in rhetoric and composition shifted the viewpoints of the nature of communication, according to Wardle?
- How would you define “identity” based on Wardle’s essay?
- How would you define “authority” based on Wardle’s essay?
- How does Alan’s story help you better relate to the development of an authoritative voice in a new discourse community?
- Why do you think reading this is important for you to understanding writing, and how might you use this essay in developing your Formal Essay?