CMST &101 – Seminar Reading Notes 2 : for your reading in Chapter 7 & 8
Chapter Concept Reading Notes in three parts (the third part is an activity based on the readings)
To get us started in reading the chapter material and prepare us for the Class Discussions you are being asked to do a chapter ‘map’ for some of the assigned reading chapters. You can do these freehand or by using a software that can help you create the visual map of what you thought was significant or caught your attention in your reading. You can also choose to create a subordinated outline from your reading of the chapters through writing or typing. This is your choice based on your reading.
Each map should be ORGANIZED to include the following areas:
- Key ideas (hint: major section headings are a good place to start)
- Terms/vocabulary—include the definition (hint: usually bolded in the text)
- Examples from the text
- Your experiences or learning around this topic
There are a number of ways to construct a Concept Map. Check out these links to see which way most fits you.
- This is a free online concept mapping tool that uses Google Drive: http://blog.mindmup.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- Another free download: http://www.xmind.net/ (Links to an external site.)
- Another free tool for either Windows or Macs: http://www.mindmaple.com/Benefits/Education/ (Links to an external site.)
Of course, you can also do a freehand concept map (especially if you are artistically inclined). Remember: color is important in aiding your recall of the material so…be colorful, use images or whatever else will help you remember what you read. What ever you do you will need to take a picture if you have drawn the mind map or save the document with your notes and submit the part one with the part two attached.
After you complete the concept map for the readings in any way you are comfortable, answer the following questions about your reading. Explaining your thinking demonstrates your sincerity so please do think carefully and respond authentically.
- What were some vocabulary words that you would like to understand more clearly this could be any words since our dicipline does have some jargon or labels?
- What surprised you in the readings?
- What examples in your life do you have of these concepts or particular concepts that you found interesting or relevant?
- What confused you or made you want to find out more (this helps me know how I can clarify concepts for you).
SUBMIT YOUR NOTES PART 1, 2, AND 3 IN THIS SUBMISSION SPACE and UPLOAD YOUR RECORDING
After reading these chapters look at the material in these chapters and identify one or two Functional Roles in Communication that you are most likely to take (you might be more likely to behave this way) when working in a group or team and why you might communicate in this way . Identify the role, describe the communication behavior you might enact, and then explain why this would help the group function more effectively.