Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Identify the goals and types of needs assessments.
- Explain how needs assessments are conducted using one or more needs assessment models.
- Identify the key components of advance planning and organizing for a community needs assessment.
- Complete an assessment of health priorities among the target population based upon epidemiological data.
- Discuss various methods of data collection for epidemiologic data.
- Identify and describe the importance of secondary data.
Course outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
HW425-2: Identify key constituents involved in designing health and wellness programs. HW425-3:Discuss administrative tasks, functions, and responsibilities in designing and administering health and wellness programs.
This is a two-part Assignment. Both parts of the Assignment are due at the end of Unit 2. Submit both parts of the Assignment in one document to the Unit 2 Dropbox.
Part 1 of the Assignment should be approximately 2â4 pages in length, written in essay format and include appropriate supporting citations and references in APA format. Create one reference page for both parts 1 and 2.
Part 1: Review a local needs assessment.
Locate, read, and critique a health needs assessment that has been performed for your community or county.
Within the Assignment, address the following points:
- Identify the community being assessed.
- Identify the agency that took the lead role in performing the assessment (i.e. was it a hospital, health department, insurer, etc.) and discuss their interest or stake in the community. Also describe the any partners identified within the assessment as stakeholders or members of coalition (advisory committee).
- Describe the process or model used to conduct the assessment. If the model is not specified, use your knowledge of models of needs assessments to make a determination. Support your conclusion.
- Describe the main conclusions and/or health priorities identified by the assessment.
- Briefly address the extent to which the needs assessment reflects the nine-step World Health Organization (WHO) framework presented in the text.
- Conclude part one of the assignment by critiquing the assessment and its conclusion. Use data to support your critique.
Part 2: Perform a Mini-Needs Assessment for your community.
Part 2 of the Assignment should be approximately 2â4 pages in length, written in essay format and include appropriate supporting citations and references in APA format. Create one reference page for both parts 1 and 2.
Address the following points:
- Identify the community or county.
- Describe the demographic and socioeconomic profile of your community or county based on US census data.
- Identify one or more sub-groups within the population as the target population for your health program.
- For the sub-group(s) chosen, use epidemiological data to identify one or two health issues that should be considered priorities for intervention. Provide relevant statistics, such as morbidity and mortality rates, to support your choice(s).
- Describe at least three sources of data that provide information about the overall quality of life within your community.
- Discuss quality of life in your community based on the data sources you identified. Frame your response based upon the concepts of âbeing, belonging, and becomingâ described in the text.
- Explain the concept of âcommunity capacityâ and its relationship to the needs assessment.
- Describe the steps you would take to evaluate community capacity in your area.
- Conclude with a summary of the target population that addresses sociodemographic information and the health priority area(s) that will be the focus of the community-based health promotion program you complete in the Final Project.