I’m working on a Business Law exercise and need support.
- Explain the major federal and state antitrust laws
- Describe major acts and laws passed to regulate mergers and price discrimination
You are the president of a company that supplies several state governments with office products. Each year, your company and four others submit bids to the respective states for the business. Some years you win and some years you lose. The president of a competitor company called you to ask if you would be willing to meet with her and the presidents of the three other competitors, who routinely submit bids. You asked about the purpose of the meeting and she told you that she was tired of losing money due to having to submit low bids and losing some states’ business. She wanted to see if everyone would agree to fixing the prices of the bids by state, so each competitor could get a share of the annual business.
You are retiring at the end of the month and your vice president is taking over for you. However, you don’t want to leave this issue open. You must prepare an internal, confidential memorandum addressed to the vice president advising her of the situation and giving her your opinion and recommendations related to:
- The legality of attending such a meeting.
- The legality of agreeing to the request of your competitor.
- Should the vice president attend the meeting? Why or why not?
- Should the vice president agree to the request and participate in the price fixing of the bids? Why or why not?
- Describe the relevant laws that may apply to this situation.
- Format: three to five pages, not including the cover page and reference page using APA format, 12-point, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, with appropriate headers
- Cover page with your name, instructor name, title of assignment, university name, and date
- In addition to addressing the issue assigned, discuss the key points you learned and how you will apply them in the future
- Reference list