- Discussion: How have the liberal arts changed?
- Read the Overview and Introduction to the Bellevue text.
- Read Chapter 1: Beginnings
- Read Chapter 2: Hosack’s Vision
- Create a post with a minimum of 250-words that discusses the important aspects of the liberal arts that have been retained over hundreds of years. The two articles you read on this topic prior to the start of the course should be referenced in your writing.
Students will have mastered the material in the module when they can:
- Summarize the important aspects of the liberal arts that have been retained over the centuries.
- Describe what Clayton Rose said was the important aspect of the liberal arts that still exist today.
- Summarize the beginnings of Bellevue Hospital and the vital mission it performed.
- Read Chapter 3: The Great Epidemic
- Read Chapter 17: AIDS
- Read Chapter 20: Rebirth
- Read the article: Putting Patients First
Choose one of the deadly diseases that were discussed in the book (Typhus, AIDS, and Ebola); Does the way these patients were treated exemplify a ‘patients first’ attitude? 250 words
- Explain how a ‘patients first’ environment is exemplified.
- Accurately describe the conditions under which healthcare workers were subjected to on a daily basis.
- Compare and contrast the conditions from epidemic to epidemic.
- Describe how healthcare has changed since these deadly diseases have come and gone
- Read Chapter 5: A Hospital at War
- Read Chapter 10: Germ Theory
- Read Chapter 11: A Tale of Two Presidents
Discussion: How have bacterial infections impacted patients and patient care at Bellevue?
- Describe how the Civil War impacted the staff of Bellevue Hospital.
- Describe the events that impacted the poor and less fortunate during the Civil War.
- Discuss in detail how germ theory revolutionized medicine and what ideas of infection and disease the theory replaced.
- Discuss in detail how two United States Presidents were impacted by germ theory.
Please reference in Apa style
Identify a current health policy issue and write a “bill” that would have an impact on the issue. Draft a policy memo advising whether to vote for or against the bill. Memo has to be five single spaced pages
Write a 175- to 265-word response to the following:
- Where do you think the greatest challenges to healthcare systems lies: resilience, self-organization, or hierarchy? Defend your answer.
As a new health care manager, you will need to have an organizational chart of the facility and of your department. Complete the following for this assignment:
- In PowerPoint or Word, develop a simple organizational chart for a facility or for 1 department.
- Make this chart original.
- Do not use real names or companies.
Choose one of the articles below, and address the essay prompt associated with it. You will need to log in to the WCU library to access the full article.
Park, M. (2009). Ethical issues in nursing practice. Journal of Nursing Law, 13(3), 68-77. doi:10.1891/1073-7422.214.171.124Essay Prompt: Identify primary areas for legal and ethical issues faced by oncology nurses in this study (Park, 2009), and strategies they may have developed to work with those ethical issues.
Croke, E. (2006). Nursing malpractice: determining liability elements for negligent acts. Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, 17(3), 3.Link: Nursing malpractice: determining liability elements for negligent acts
Essay Prompt: Identify primary problems that led to the malpractice suits (Croke, 2006), and identify the role the nurse played and what the nurse did wrong
Explain how your view of what a “patient” is has changed and expanded? What are some major differences between the assessment of a public health nurse and a clinical nurse?
Your initial posting should be 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source other than the textbook. Please reply to at least two classmates. Replies to classmates should be a minimum of 200 words in length.