Develop a PICO question and acquire the best available evidence
For this assignment you will be required to use the PICO (Population, Intervention, Comparator, Outcome) model as a framework to develop a question that can be answered by using the skills for inquiry. You will develop your PICO question based on a scenario in the assessment folder on LEO. HLSC122 Inquiry in Health Care, Semester 1 2015 Page 12 of 18
1. From the scenarios provided, choose one as a basis for your inquiry.
2. Read the scenario carefully and identify an issue that you would like to explore in more detail.
3. Using the PICO principles formulate an answerable question to address the issue identified in step two.
4. Describe the process you used for developing the PICO question, paying particular attention to identifying each PICO element and the choice of key words
5. Search for evidence to answer the PICO question developed in step two.
6. Describe the search process and strategy you used to find this evidence
7. List 5 pieces of evidence you have secured via the search strategy described in step 5 using APA referencing. [does not count towards word count]
8. Justify why they are the best sources of evidence to address your PICO question.
9. Students are strongly advised to use the Marking Guide and detailed instructions in the assignment folder on LEO, as a guide when writing the essay.
Purpose: This assignment is the first part of a two part process to assess your understanding of Evidence-Based Practice principles. By undertaking this assessment task you will demonstrate your capacity to develop a PICO question and use it to search for evidence related to an observed professional issue. The information gathered in this assessment task will be used in Assessment Task 3.
Learning outcomes assessed: 2, 4, 5 and 6.
How to submit: Submission is via the Turnitin Drop Box on the electronic learning system
Return of assignment: Assignments along with comments will be returned via the Turnitin Drop Box on the electronic learning system not more than three weeks after the final submission date.
Assessment criteria: This activity requires students to demonstrate an appreciation for the principles of developing an answerable question and an understanding of how to gather evidence to answer the question.
The marking guide for Assessment Task 2 is on the next page.