Cultural Competence in Health Care
Method: (What you will submit) A five to ten page paper synthesizing the readings and web-based training on the topic of cultural competence in health care. Your paper should focus on what you have learned from this course and how you will implement that in a Physical Therapy environment. Additional references are expected.
*NOTE: Assignments with grammatical, spelling, and/or typographical errors are unacceptable. Composition and organization of written assignments are expected to reflect graduate level skill. Having someone proofread your written assignments before submitting, and if needed, getting assistance with your writing can improve your performance. Citations, references, and formatting for this assignment must be according to the current AMA Style writing.
Objectives: (What you wish to accomplish/learn from this study)
1. Define cultural competence.
2. Identify concerns related to racial and ethnic disparities in health.
3. Verify the need for health care professionals and systems to accommodate increasingly diverse patient populations.
4. Synthesize concepts and practices of culturally competence healthcare.
5. Analyze research that relates to the concepts of culturally competent care: disparities, access, and quality.
6. Examine policies and laws related to culturally and linguistically appropriate services. 7. Self-assess cultural competence as a health care provider.
Materials and/or resources needed:
Computer with internet access to US Department of Health and Human Services: Health Resources and Services Administration website for web-based training and assessment. https://www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/
Topical Outline: (Primary topics to be covered in this study. Please utilize these topic in writing)
1. Guiding Principles for Cultural Competence – https://www.aidsetc.org/resource/guiding-principles-cultural-competency (Download reading material from this link & scroll to bottom of the webpage under “Documents” to download “Guiding Principles for Cultural Competence”.)
2. Quality Care for Diverse Populations – https://www.aafp.org/patient-care/public-health/cultural-proficiency.html?cmpid=_van_307 (Click link and watch all videos. Please be advised that you must have an Adobe/Shockwave Flash Player in order to view. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 have the player built in and cause issues. If you have the player and unable to view follow this link https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html#main-pars_header_1)
3. Cross Cultural Communication in Health Care – https://courses.migrantclinician.org/course/view.php?id=3 (Utilize links in “Module Two: Cultural Competency” Parts 1-8)
4. Culture/Language Specific Concepts (research articles based on this topic utilizing https://www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/ and any additional references for paper)
5. Disease/Condition Specific Concepts (research articles based on this topic utilizing https://www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/ and any additional references for paper)
6. Measuring Cultural Competence in Health Care (Save and Open the following ‘pdf’ file link and read) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hrsa.gov%2Fculturalcompetence%2Fhealthdlvr.pdf&ei=ElfYU8fHCaPo8QH634GwAQ&usg=AFQjCNH_EQ6enyP0oiQjtxe2EswlyJSOOA&sig2=7kTBhTItwyM08YMsQoIA9w