For this assignment, identify one important concept, theory, or idea that you learned while reading Vandana Shiva’s “The Soil vs. the Sensex” or Nicholas Kristof’s “Our Gas Guzzlers, Their Lives,” found in the “Choices for a Sustainable World” section of your textbook Writing Arguments.
- Use the first paragraph of your post to present the concept, theory, or idea and explain why it is important.
- How does it apply to some aspect of your life?
- Does it have implications for your community?
- What questions has the reading raised for you?
- In a second paragraph, discuss the assumptions, values, and beliefs readers would have to hold to find the central argument persuasive.
- Is the writer trying to change readers’ views, attempting to call readers to action, or hoping to inspire further investigations?
- Then, address the overall persuasiveness of the argument. How does the author appeal to reason, ethics, and emotion?
- What features of the argument contribute most to making it persuasive or not persuasive for its target audience and for you