You will write a five-page essay (not including the Works Cited page) in response to one of the research topics listed below. You will choose one topic and decide to agree or disagree with the statement. Your essay will be a defense of your position.
CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING RESEARCH TOPICS:
Position 1: Enkidu in Gilgamesh is a heroic figure.
Position 2: Odysseus demonstrates failure as a leader.
Position 3: Achilles and Agamemnon have conflict because they are very similar.
Position 4: Thetis (from the Iliad) and Ninsun (from Gilgamesh) are good mothers.
Introductory paragraph—introduce the topic and conclude the paragraph by stating your position (your thesis statement):
In each supporting paragraph, you should include at least one quote from the primary text (the literature itself, and one quote or paraphrase from a secondary source. If you find a source that disagrees with you, demonstrate why you believe your interpretation is correct.
Make sure your paper includes:
- Sufficient specific development in the body of your paper: you should include at least six significant quotes from your primary source(s) in your paper. Do not, however, quote lengthy passages to simply take up space.
- Sufficient critical support: significant use of at least three acceptable secondary sources.
- Sufficient original commentary to tie the support from the primary and secondary sources to the particular thesis point being developed and to the overall central idea. You should provide original commentary (your ideas and analysis) for each quote you incorporate.
- An effective concluding paragraph that restates (not repeats) the central idea. (The central idea has been developed in the paper, so this restatement should be similarly developed.)
- A creative title that is specifically informative about the content of the paper.
RESEARCH REQUIREMENTS: The essay will require some secondary research. The body of the paper must reflect three scholarly sources in addition to your primary source(s) (that is, the literary text(s) you are writing about)