ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS AND ATTACH THE ARTICLE
QUALITATIVE RESEARCH ARTICLE CRITIQUE
Instructions: After carefully reading a QUALITATIVE research article, answer the following questions. Simple yes/no answers are insufficient. NOTE: Do not simply cut and paste from the article to the critique form. To critique means to analyze, not copy. Be specific and descriptive in your analysis of each area of the critique.
- Does the abstract state the problem, methodology, and findings?
- Is the phenomenon being studied clearly described?
- Does the review of literature provide the rationale (purpose) for the study?
- Is a particular theory or model identified as a framework for the study?
- Is the study design/type identified?
- Is the sampling methodology described?
- Are the inclusion/exclusion criteria discussed?
- What was the sample size?
- Was IRB approval obtained (may be referred to as â€œethics committeeâ€ in other countries)?
- Are measures for the protection of human subjects described?
- What question(s) guided the study?
- Is the rigor of the study discussed?
- Are the researcherâ€™s roles described?
- How was the data obtained?
- How was the data analyzed?
- How are findings reported?
- Does the discussion clearly state the conclusions of the study?
- Are the limitations of the study discussed?
- Are there areas for future research identified?
- Results and Application to own Patients
- Are results relevant to persons in similar situations that I am familiar with?
- How could I apply the results to my own practice?
- Based on this appraisal, would I be confident about using this study with my population? Why or Why not?