In Weeks 2 and 3, you learned about the use of deductive and inductive reasoning as problem-solving methodologies commonly used in criminal justice. In this summative assessment, you evaluate the use of the scientific method in criminal investigations and explain how deductive and inductive reasoning are applied to a crime scene investigation.
Review â€œCrime 360: Welcome to Homicideâ€ on this weekâ€™s University Library page.
Research the steps involved in conducting a homicide investigation.
Write an 875- to 1,050-word paper in which you do the following:
- Summarize the 5 steps of the scientific method.
- Apply each of the steps of the scientific method to an example homicide investigation scenario.
- Explain if there are steps in the scientific method that are not applicable to a criminal investigation.
- Conclude whether you believe the scientific method is or is not a good methodology for conducting a criminal investigation. Support your response with examples.
- Explain how deductive and inductive approaches differ and how each are used in criminal investigations.
- Outline 2 examples of how deductive and inductive reasoning are applied during the investigation from the â€œCrime 360: Welcome to Homicideâ€ video in the University Library.
Cite at least 3 academic sources to support your paper, excluding weekly readings.
Format your paper according to APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment as a MS Word document.