Within the prison and jail system, there are various special populations with needs that may require an adapted approach. In this summative assessment, you research and write a letter to your senator to explain the current state of affairs for these special populations in prisons and make a recommendation for a change you would like to see going forward.
Write an 875- to 1,050-word letter to your U.S. senator. Address the following topics in your letter:
- Describe the unique considerations that special prison populations (e.g., aging, transgender, nonbinary, gender-nonconforming, those affected by mental or physical health issues) raise in the American prison and jail system.
- Summarize the demographics of special prison populations in jails or prisons across your state.
- Discuss the impact special prison populations have on American prisons and jails. Provide specific examples supported by research.
- Explain who should pay for the increasing health care costs associated with special prison populations.
- Explain how American prisons and jails address and/or fail to address the needs of prisoners who belong to special populations. Provide specific examples supported by research.
- Examine the effects of solitary confinement on special prison populations.
- Based on your research, make a recommendation for a change you would like to see regarding special populations in prisons and jails. Explain your reasoning.
Support your letter with research, including at least 3 academic sources outside of the assigned readings.
Format your citations according to APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment.