A good writer is one you can read without breaking a sweat. If you want a workout, you dont lift a bookyou lift weights. Yet were brainwashed to believe that the more brilliant the writer, the tougher the going.The truth is that the reader is always right. Chances are, if something youre reading doesnt make sense, its not your faultits the writers. And if something you write doesnt get your point across, its probably not the readers faultits yours. Too many readers are intimidated and humbled by what they cant understand, and in some cases thats precisely the effect the writer is after. But confusion is not complexity; its just confusion. A venerable tradition, dating back to the ancient Greek orators, teaches that if you dont know what youre talking about, just ratchet up the level of difficulty and no one will ever know.Dont confuse simplicity, though, with simplemindedness. A good writer can express an extremely complicated idea clearly and make the job look effortless. But such simplicity is a difficult thing to achieve because to be clear in your writing you have to be clear in your thinking. This is why the simplest and clearest writing has the greatest power to delight, surprise, inform, and move the reader. You cant have this kind of shared understanding if writer and reader are in an adversary relationship. (pp. 195196)
Source: OConner, P. (2003). Woe is I: The grammarphobes guide to better English in plain English. New York: Riverhead Books.
- Paraphrase this passage from OConner using no more than 75100 words. Remember that paraphrasing means summarizing the essence of the original text. It does not mean creating a thesaurus-based revision of the authors original words or copying the piece, or any part of it, word for word. For this activity, do not use any direct quotes.
- Turn your paraphrase into Grammarly and SafeAssign.
- Review your reports.
- Review the other tools, resources, and services available to you through the Walden Writing Center that support your growth as a scholarly writer.
- Consider which of these resources you find to be most useful.
- Review learning resources on APA formatting rules and information within the Walden Writing Center on APA